Balance Your BOSU

One way or another, a lack of balance in most any area of life
has the potential to be responsible for some unhappiness.

What comes to mind first when I think of balance is the dreaded, good old-fashioned balancing of the checkbooks. Definitely a necessary responsibility if you want to be on top of your stuff. Then there should be balance in the different branches of government, the juggling act between work and family, and we’re supposed to have a proper balanced diet (or at least that is what we tell the kids). Each of these will be seriously affected if there is an improper balance. The problem is that the how of balancing doesn’t always have a straightforward solution. Balance is achieved by different people and situations in a variety of manners. Let’s look at one more example of balance that has become an issue with the advent of online streaming.

I have never watched any mainstream TV shows for more than two episodes. Not seasons. Episodes. Crazy, right? I know you’re wondering, so I’ll admit: this does have serious consequences that impact my ability to engage in riveting dialogue about [insert name of hit TV series]. Sometimes I can’t leave my house for fear that I will be unable to contribute to enthusiastic discussions about the latest grand finale for the latest season of the latest show. But never fear, I have conquered my social inadequacies. That 15 minute period where I am unable to participate in the conversation is the only negative effect I experience. That time is quickly filled with other activities that I rather enjoy; sleeping and eating, for instance. For me, balance includes other side activities at the expense of Netflix binges. I balance my responsibilities, my people, and my pleasures without factoring in six seasons of a show.

Is my approach to online streaming the proper approach to balancing life?

No.

Let me disclose that I have gotten hooked on obscure TV shows before. It is hardly a unique phenomenon. Many refer to this syndrome as the ‘The Netflix Binge’. I couldn’t explain how it happened and why I didn’t spend my time following a mainstream show. It is likely that, after a full year of operation, the winter holidays triggered a switch that signaled the old cerebrum to shut down and undergo a monumental recovery and restoration phase. Whatever it was, I got hooked on a show that instead of sitting down and watching for an hour or two a week, I finished in a matter of days. For me, the 360 or so days a year that I don’t follow any shows balanced out with those days I devoted to following the antics of witty and heroic personages. For others, it is more suitable to follow that show for an hour or so a couple days a week. Whose balance is better?

I like to think that the BOSU® Balance trainer serves as a tangible illustration of what balance can represent to different people.

The BOSU® Balance trainer is used by some to improve their balance and stability. Others use it in pursuit of a stronger core. CrossFitters will use it in their pursuit of an intense holistic approach to fitness. The Yoga world uses it to shake up their routines. One coach will promote ball side down for pushups. Another coach will use ball side up for planks. The persistent use it for 10 minutes a day to keep toned. The ambitious use it for 45 minute workouts.

Are any of these methods more appropriate than the other?

No.

When properly used and incorporated, these methods are used to achieve goals that enhance a person’s life and well-being. What is right for one is not necessarily appropriate for another.

To Netflix binge or not, ball side up or ball side down? The options and strategies for a more meaningful and well-balanced life are endless. Choose wisely. And find your balance.

This blog was contributed by Stephanie Berger, a Public Relations and Marketing intern at Hedstrom - Ball, Bounce and Sport. She studies at the University of South Carolina and is addicted to breakfast foods and sunshine.

Popular Posts