Chef Reuben Ruiz - An Inspiration

Food Network Star Season 10 recently ended, and as an avid fan of the show, it is disappointing to know that I have a long time to wait before the next season starts.

One of the fan favorites this season was Chef Reuben Ruiz, who grew up in a traditional Cuban family and lives in Miami, Florida.

This is not another post about how Reuben went home too soon (although I’m a firm believer he should have gone farther in the show than he did). This is a post about a story some people may not know about Reuben—his weight loss story.

Thank you, Reuben, for sharing your story with me.

When did your love for food start? What inspired you to become a chef?

My love for food began at a young age, watching my Abuela (grandmother) cooking traditional Cuban meals. I was always fascinated with the process from beginning to end and how the food would bring joy to the family while discussing their day. Also, by the age of 11 or 12, I realized my mother wasn't the most talented of chefs and she would cook what my brother and I thought was Cajun food…but it was food just being burnt. From there, I told myself that I would feed myself and, in turn, started cooking for my family. That’s how I ended up in culinary school.

How did your love for cooking affect your weight?

Well, if you know how to cook and are always practicing new recipes and concocting new dishes, someone has to eat them; fortunately for me, I was more than willing. More importantly, I was always a heavy-set kid. The Cuban culture really enjoys seeing young kids being a bit on the thicker side because it resembles health and happiness (and darn right cuteness) for us. So, living in a traditional Cuban household, my Abuela would continuously feed us huge portions and have us finish our plate, which progressed as I got older into all the wrong eating habits.

When did you realize it was time to change your lifestyle?

I began realizing that a change must come because I was way too young to be suffering from insecurity issues and having woman tell me blatantly that I had no chance with them due to my weight. It was really a great way to add fuel to the fire.

What was the hardest part for you? How did you push through and get to your goal weight?

The hardest part was modifying my eating habits and being able to substitute minor ingredients, like salts and sugars, which helped me significantly. The major problem with weight loss is the lack of motivation. A way for me to reach my goal weight was that I would purchase clothes a size too small, and I would work slowly but surely to fit into them comfortably. Then, I would do it all over again with the next size. I was a 2XL in shirts and a 46 in’ waist. Now, I am a medium in shirts and a 34 in’ waist, so it worked.

What were some of your favorite workouts? Did you often workout at home, or did you go to the gym?

My all-time favorite workout has to be running. There is something therapeutic when you just hit that pavement and begin to run and leave your worries behind. Running, for me, with music playing is an escape from reality and helps me center my thoughts; however, when it is a bit to humid here in Miami, I will gladly hit the gym and run indoors, I am also an avid fan of P90X and highly recommend it to anyone that has 90 days to change their life. I am about to begin it again.

How did you change your diet? Can you walk me through a typical day of meals?

I changed my eating habits by modifying things like salt and sugar. I replaced salt with strong herbs, which allowed for great taste without bloating contributed by salt. I learned to replace sugar with things like mashed bananas and/or apple sauce rather than eating pure sugar, which slows down your metabolism significantly. A typical day of meals consists of 4-5 meals beginning with a 7oz churrasco (skirt steak) with 6 egg whites all scrambled together with a slice of unbuttered wheat toast. I span my meal gaps about 2-3 hours in between, and then I eat a lunch consisting of whole chicken with a medley of different veggies. A snack would be a super smoothie or a Naked Juice. Dinner is a bit lighter, usually some fish, vegetables, and fruit. For me, I try to cap my food intake off at about 8 p.m. to allow my body to digest throughout the night.

How have you maintained your weight?

Running, running, and more running, If you like to eat, you have to work out even if you don’t like it. You must find the strength to get up and not live a sedentary lifestyle. The first two weeks of any workout routine is usually the hardest, but I guarantee you that, after the two weeks are completed, the routine will be second nature, and you will feel bad when you don't work out. True story!

What is the best advice you can give to someone who has struggled with losing weight?

Persistence is key, and Rome wasn't built in a day. It took me almost two years to lose a hundred pounds, and I know the struggle personally. There are weeks that you feel that the scale just doesn't reflect on your hard work—you know what? Ditch the scale. Scales aren't your friends. You can drink a glass of water and gain a pound in a matter of seconds. A big key to measuring your weight loss is to use your clothes. If they fit a bit looser, keep doing what you're doing. But ultimately, please don't give up. I know for a fact the hardships that people go through on both the physical and psychological aspects of being a bit heavier, and I guarantee you that it is worth the fight. The struggle is there, but do not let it conquer you!

What inspired you to be on Food Network Star?

I’ve been watching the show since season 1 ten years ago, and I thought I can do this. Also, I am a big fan of proving people wrong. We all have naysayers, and, believe me, so many people told me I would never get on the show. Well, surprise surprise! I made it on. Food Network Star to me has always been a great show because it allowed everyday normal people, such as myself, to go and work to obtain their dream position.

What was your most favorite part about being on the show?

As of right now, my favorite part is the friendships I have made with some particular contestants. I am truly blessed to have crossed paths with these few individuals, and they know who they are. Also, being able to work alongside such greats like Giada, Alton, and Bobby was spectacular. Hearing their feedback and watching them do what they do is truly admiring and has only made me want this that much more.

How has your lifestyle change affected, in Food Network Star terms, your "culinary POV”?

Truly, it really hasn’t. My culinary POV is Sabor Of Miami, which means Taste of Miami. It is how I live my life every day. At my restaurant, we serve food that represents many of the cultures that inhabit our great city. The healthier side, as I told the Network, would come in smaller strides, such as small tidbits as to substitutions for meals and ingredients but not necessarily cooking pure dietetic plates.

Is there anything else you would like to add about your weight loss story?

Well, if anything, a message to anyone dealing or struggling with weight loss—please do not give up. It’s well worth the roller coaster of emotions that comes along on this journey, but, at the end of the road, you will come out a newer, brighter you with such an amazing aspect on life. If you ever need any help with any weight loss advice or tips and tricks in the kitchen, feel free to tweet me a message @ChefReuben.

This blog entry was contributed by Adena Siefert, a PR and Marketing intern at Hedstrom – Ball, Bounce and Sport. She recently graduated from Ashland University with degrees in Sport Communication and Public Relations. She loves watching the Food Network.

Popular Posts